Thursday, May 29, 2008

From the Pusher's Backpack

So, lately I’ve been reading a book titled Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop. I’m sure you’ve heard of it. The book describes the Hip-Hop movement. Not only does it include the musical aspect, but also the culture characteristics as well. From the sneakers on your feet to the clothes you wear to the way you speak and so on. Well, reading this book led me to some thoughts of my own. Led me to think of a movement developing right before me. Something I’d like to call “The Louisiana Movement”.

This movement I speak of is in relation to the streetwear culture. Now Louisiana doesn’t have this huge streetwear scene on the level of other states, but we are definitely on our way. It starts at home with a few folks I know. In this past year, I have had the privilege to be surrounded by some of the most talented and creative individuals that help mold this monster. This monster of a culture that I am completely wrapped up in. The ones closest are Pimp C (also known as the dope.dealer), Antwoine “Tweez” Washington (even though he’s from somewhere else, he lives in Louisiana), Ceaux Young (Producer, Tattoo Artist, Clothing Designer), Cody (the Asian persuasion), Marc (He paints on walls, hats, sneakers, ANYTHING!!). Each of them play a major role in this Movement I speak of.

Marcfresh / Ceaux Young

Antwoine /Cody

All of five of them are owners of streetwear brands or other interests that involve artwork. dope. Mocha-Soul. Whatchumeen. BSBCBU. Marcfresh. Legit streetwear brands that exhibit artwork that came straight from the soul. Not intervened by money. Not authorized by a powerful overseer. Not boxed in by rules and regulations. They only have to answer to themselves. And that’s what it’s truly about. That’s what this streetwear culture is about. Expressing yourself freely. I am truly amazed with the things these kids come up with. If you don’t believe me check them out for yourselves; click the names. You will see what I speak of. For the scene isn’t just on the East and West Coast. It’s here in the South as well. You might as well become a believer. Now, there are plenty of others in Louisiana that are apart of this Movement. I just wanted to share my thoughts on a few favorites.

Mocha-Soul/Bourgeois (Antwoine)

Whachumeen / Ceaux's tattoo artwork

Marcfresh

BSBCBU (Cody)

I was once told I’m just the pusher. Nothing more than a mere spectator like the rest of you. And I’m fine with that. I’m happy to just be able to come along for the ride. I’m happy to watch it unfold right in front of my own eyes. Just to be able to say, hey I was here and I experienced it. Even if all I did was push the product.

“No one not you nor us nor anyone in this country can stop it from occurring now. And we WILL WIN.”

--- Afeni Shakur

4 comments:

the dope. dealer said...

Awesooome post!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that made me feel proud to be from the boot. Should I salute or something...I feel warm inside...no really that was an amazing post!!! We are well on our way...

*Be Blessed

beamer. said...

Thank You, Thank You. You're far too kind.

Mocha Soul Clothing said...

Appreciate the luv homie!!!! You're not only the pusher, you're THE PUSHA! Lol.